So there's been A LOT going on in the Prato household lately. Too much to even get into but I'll hit the high points:
Monday, October 9th at 0630 our doorbell rang and I opened the door to a policeman holding up a badge in my face asking for Luis. Just the week before, we had received 2 letters about back child support owed on Micah so I knew this policeman at our door had something to do with all that. Anyway, I go back to our bedroom in complete tears to get Luis out of bed. So, at about 0631, we were officially served with child support enforcement papers ... and yes, it's on the child that we take care of EVERYDAY! Where all this is coming from, we have no idea. Marci (Micah's mother) had told Luis that she closed the case a year and a half ago, but apparently not. So in all this paperwork, it's noted that we have to appear before the judge on November 7th to establish payments for back child support ... of $500 a month! Again, this is on the child that we take care of every night of the week and every weekend! So I called the courthouse to try and get more info and of course, they wouldn't talk to me, but when I told this lady our "concerns" over all this due to how much care we provide, she said that the judge would probably rule the case null and void. Hearing that, although not official, made me a little less stressed.
So then on Friday, October 13th, I went to see our mortgage broker to give her more paperwork for the house and she tells me that Luis and I are going to have to pay this back child support before we can close on the house. WHAT?! She said that on Luis' credit report, it's listed that he owes $1,800. I nearly fell out of my chair! I then proceeded to tell her about our court date and having been served these papers. She said that regardless of what's going on right now, we have to pay it off at closing. She kept referring to "they" but I'm not sure who "they" are ... the title company, maybe? So anyway, we were going to have to come up with $300 already for closing but now the grand total is up to $2,100. She's going to see if "they" will take the check and just hold it until our court date and we have an official ruling on all this child support crap!
The blessing in all this comes in the form of a check from my nanny. I had called her a few weeks ago when we started all the negotiations on the house because I had a feeling that we were going to need some money for closing and we have no extra money right now at all. So what I had asked for and what we got were 2 TOTALLY different amounts. She was able to give us a lot more than we had asked for or had even thought that we needed, but little did we know that all this was going to happen. So with nanny's check and a profitable garage sale over the weekend, we have enough money to take care of everything. Had nanny not been able to bless us the way that she did, there's no way that we would have had the money to close on the house this Thursday! Thank God for Grandmothers!
TGIF, MOTHER HUGGERS (Miami Newborn Photography)
13 years ago

3 comments:
God's timing is so perfect, huh? Keep us posted on the court date issue.
Aww...that's so awesome that money came through for you. He always provides!!
Kim, Tell Luis I said GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Post a Comment