So yesterday, after 1 full year of being out the hospital, I had to make a urgent return. I started feeling yucky on Monday with a lot of congestion but thought it was from all the drastic weather changes we're having (76 on Sunday - 40 on Monday). I was still feeling bad on Tuesday and so I called in sick to work and decided to stay home. When I was getting Hannah ready for school, I noticed that I was having some difficulty with my breathing but it didn't alarm me, as I usually have trouble when I'm congested. By about lunch time, I absolutely could not breath! I called Luis at work and he immediately left and came home. I told him on the phone that I was contemplating calling an ambulance because it was that bad. He told me to hold on that he'd be right home. So by the time he got to the house, I was a lot better. I had just coughed a pretty good amount of congestion and felt a lot better. At this point, I was just thinking that all that junk was just getting stuck in my airway. Although, I had also noticed that my breathing difficulty came with coughing spells. So anyway, Luis is finally home, I'm calm and we're laying in the bed watching TV when I have another coughing spell. I scared Luis so bad that he said to get up and he was taking me to the ER. We called Dr. Krempls office on the way to the ER and asked them to let him know (I'm not sure if he got the message or not). So we get to the ER and I'm seen in triage pretty fast but the nurse tells me "well, your lungs are clear and you're sats are 100%, so we're just going to have you sit back out in the waiting room but I've listed you as the next to go back". I had told her my history: tracheal resection with complete reconstruction and trach placement, but she didn't seem to care. I became even more frustrated after she offered me some oxygen!!! Well that's not going to work if my AIRWAY IS CLOSED OFF!!!!!!!!! So after 45 minutes of sitting in the waiting room and my breathing getting more difficult by the minute (due to my anxiety), I called Dr. Krempls office again to see if I needed to stay in the ER or if maybe he could see me in his office. Once he got in the phone with me and heard how bad I sounded, he told me that he was going to call back in to the ER and if I had not been seen in 10 minutes to call him back. We were back and being seen in exactly 10 minutes. So the ER doc hears me and immediately orders an epinepherine (spelling ?) breathing treatment and an IV steroid. I had people working on me on both sides of the bed at the same time. Within seconds of being given the steroid, my airway was open again. The nurse even commented about how I was getting better right before her eyes. So they ran some more tests and did a few xrays and after consulting with Dr. Krempl, they decided to send me home. Some people can have problems with the epi breathing treatment and that was there concern. This same problem happened to me in December of 2004 and I had to be hospitalized for 4 days. I guess since I didn't have a reaction to the epi then, they were okay with letting me go home. They did watch me for almost 3 hours yesterday. We arrived at 245 and didn't leave until 745. I have an appointment with Dr. K today at 10am so that he can scope me and see if there's any issues going on. Hopefully, everything is okay!! I'll post again when I get home. What a day! No wonder I can't sleep!
TGIF, MOTHER HUGGERS (Miami Newborn Photography)
13 years ago

2 comments:
Wow Kim....you don't have a dull life, do you? Glad you are better. Keep us posted. Love you! :)
yep, never a dull moment! and never anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!!!!
Post a Comment