Thursday, March 29, 2007

Jobs and Tornadoes

Sorry that I've fallen off the planet for so long but I'm back now. I usually use my laptop to blog and our wireless router stopped working all the sudden. So all I'll have is writing until we get it fixed. The program to upload pics from the digital camera is on my laptop.
So anyway, Luis still doesn't have a job. We've been jumping through hoops with Ted's Escondido's and TGIFridays and haven't heard anything from either. He's interviewed 3 times with Ted's and 2 times with TGIFridays. I want him to get a job but I don't know about the options that we've been left with. I guess at this point, a job is a job. It's been 6 very LONG and SCAREY weeks with just one income, but Lord willing, we've been getting the bills paid ... barely. I just talked to Luis and tonights been really busy at the place that he's waiting tables. He has a good friend that owns a restaurant out in Yukon (west of OKC) and has been letting him wait tables whenever possible. There was a tornado that came through today that has left many folks in the dark and he said that they all must have decided to come to his restaurant. I hope that makes for a GREAT night of tips cause the housepayment is due!
Well, apparently the tornado just barely missed us. I was still at work and had no idea what was going on outside. I have Spanish class from 230-5 and at about 415, the tornado sirens started going off. That's when we realized that we were in a part of the hospital that had no overhead speakers for calling codes. Icalled the charge nurse on my floor and he told me that our severe weather code had not been called but that they could also hear the sirens. Whitney, Erin and I made our way back to our office where when we walked in the door, the weather guy on the radio said that the tornado was at Council and NW Expressway ... that's EXACTLY where we live and where the kids were currently in daycare. I went to my office and pulled up a livestream online of my favorite weather guy, Rick Mitchell, and from all accounts, it really sounded like I was going to come home to nothing. I called Luis again for like the 3rd time and he was still trying to get to work in Yukon (normally the drive is 15 minutes and he was going on about an hour). My boss commented that I was unusually calm as I prepared to walk out the door not knowing what I would find. I told her it would just top off my life right now to have the house blown away!!! So I walked out to the parking garage to leave and in the direction of our house was nothing but clear skies and sunshine. It's so weird how the weather does that after a tornado tears through town. I finally make it to daycare and then to the house where nothing appears to even be windblown. I haven't been out looking but I hear all the damage starts about 1/2 a mile west of us and I think that we're in for more bad weather tonight. It may be time to invest in a storm shelter or atleast a tornado survival kit. This makes #2 that has just barely missed me!

0 comments: