Saturday, January 14, 2006

Waterproof mascara

Thursday night on the way home from Luis' house I had to stop and buy some waterproof mascara in anticipation of being apart of some pretty emotional stuff at work on Friday. One of our "frequent flyers" was told Thursday about not being able to do anything more for them and that we would be sending them home on Hospice. We offered to help this patient do some legacy leaving messages; letters to their younger sib to open on significant occasions (16th birthday, prom night, wedding day, birth of 1st child, etc.) or even video messages for those same significant events. Neither Amber nor I had ever done this type of thing but the patient and their family thought it would be a fantastic thing to do. I knew that if the patient felt like starting the process of videoing themselves on Friday, I was going to need some heavy duty waterproof mascara!! They didn't feel up to it so we haven't started all that yet.

It made me wonder what kinds of "words of wisdom" would I want to pass on. I don't have any children of my own and my little brother's already one up on me with being married and already having a child, so I probably can't tell him anything that he doesn't already know. I guess I would just want to make sure that Luis knew how much I love him and what it meant to me for him to stand by my side while I was so sick.

Not to make anyone emotional, but who and for what occasion would you want to leave your words of wisdom?

2 comments:

Shandra said...

wow! i don't know. i think that's a great idea tho.

Anonymous said...

Kim--that is a fantastic idea. My mom wrote all of us (dad, me, sis and bro) a letter and a few days before she died, she told us where they were. We all read them the night she died and to this day, I find myself reading it often. It's weird because at that time, I was teaching in LA and was single. But the simple words she wrote still mean the world to me. You can't ever forget her smile, encouragement, support, prayers and love because of the letter. True, it's words on a paper, but to me, it's my mom speaking to me and I can feel her there. It's the best gift anyone could give...