Tuesday, October 30, 2007

tell me about a time when...

I interviewed last Friday but haven't heard anything. I don't anticipate hearing anything until, at the earliest, next week. The only other candidate that applied will interview this Friday.

As far as the interview itself, I think it went really well. I did have a freak out moment though. Several weeks ago, this same position was posted as a different title. After interviewing those candidates, the Chief Administrative Officer of Children's Hospital decided to completely change the job description and repost the position. During that interview process, there were no real instructions given to those of us that were interviewing these 4 candidates. We had to come up with interview questions on our own. For a couple of years now, the hospital has been using the behavioral interviewing style (Targeted Selection) where the questions are set up to seek out a "STAR" answer; ST=situation/task, A=action, R=result. It's been interesting to interview people using that format but I myself have never been interviewed using it ... until now. When using the targeted selection style, you are given an interview guide with questions and information on how to score the answer. WELL, since this was not used last time, I was completely blindsided when the Nursing Directors whipped out these interview guides and started asking me questions with the dreaded opening line of "tell me about a time when...". My interviews were done roundtable style so I'm sure that everyone in the room could tell that I was taken by surprise. I had 2 hours of this. I thought that my interview with the Chief Administration Officer would be the toughest but it was a breeze. Mainly because he didn't use an interview guide.

So, we shall see what happens. I'm really not sure what I'll do if I don't get the position. In all honesty, I'm not really sure I'd be satisfied being there any longer. It's been a goal of mine to advance into a management position for several years now and this is the first time in 6 years, the opportunity has presented itself. I just don't think I'm willing to wait around another 6 for another chance.

0 comments: