Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Boycott

Valentine's and I just don't mix well apparently. Last year, I had to have an unexpected root canal on Valentine's and then yesterday, after getting a call from daycare that Russ was running 101 fever, the pediatrician advised us to take him to the ER for an RSV work up. I have SOOOOO many RSV kids on my unit at the hospital and have been trying my best to not bring it home with me, so I just broke down in tears in the middle of CVS when Dr. Bartlow called. We arrived at the ER around 630 last night and in a sort-of passive aggressive manner, left my nametag on so that all persons working with us would know that I was an employee. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or if it was the risk of having RSV, but we were triaged and in the isolation waiting room within 15 minutes. One of my Child Life coworkers just started her position in the ER and called me on our way there to let me know that we were in for a LONG wait. There were patients going on 22 hours in the ER holding for a bed in the hospital, so after all was said and done, I was really impressed with our 5 hour visit. But the tests for RSV and the flu came back negative!!! We just have an upper airway infection that will need some breathing treatments. Thank God that was all!! I was a nervous wreck waiting for the test results.

So next year, I'm marking off Valentine's all together! I'm going to sleep from the 13th to the 15th and hopefully, nothing crazy and unexpected will happen again!

1 comments:

Shandra said...

glad it wasn't rsv! hope he's feeling better.